Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have any water or money saving tips?

There are many places you can go to get information on saving water.  The District recommend are:

  • Install low-flow shower heads.  These should be 2.5 gallons per minute or less.
  • •Install low-flow toilets or dual flush toilets.
  • Consider water saving washing machines and dishwashers.  Not only do older models use more water - they also use more electricity.
  • Use an outside “deduct” meter for watering gardens and lawns, and filling swimming pools or ponds.
  • Take shorter showers.  A 10 minute shower can use 25 gallons of water.  Use a timer if necessary.

How do I check my meter?

You can check your water meters at any time.  Go to your outside meter and read the value on the dial, then compare that value to the meter inside your house.  The amount of water being used should be nearly equal comparing the two meters.  The meter outside your house actually receives information from your inside meter.  If the values are very far apart - please contact Business Office during regular business hours.

How do I find out information about water and sewer rates?

Please refer to the rate information on our website or call 536-1733 if you have specific questions.

How do I get questions answered about my bill?

Please call, email, complete a question form on this website or come by our Business Office during normal business hours.  Staff will be glad to help.

I do not have a meter - how is my bill calculated?

Many mobile homes do not have their own meters.  If this is the case - you are being billed at the standard mobile home flat rate.

I have a well, why do I get a bill from PVWSD?

You are located within the Water and Sewer District, but must be in a location where there is a sewer line only and no water line. Water from you well is metered and this is billed for sewer use only.  Sewer discharge is not metered directly.

I seem to be getting billed for more water than I think I am using. What could be wrong?

There are a couple of main factors that may increase your water use:

  • You are using more outdoor water for grass, plants, etc.
  • You have a small undetected leak.

Is the water from the wells treated in any way?

PVWSD is required by the NH Dept. of Environmental Services to chlorinate the water prior to delivery to your homes or places of business.  The chlorine is used to kill any bacteria that might be naturally present in the ground water aquifer we pump from or in the distribution piping.  The dose is the minimal amount needed for this process.

May I get a tour of the Facility?

Call the business office to see if a tour may be arranged.  Tours may be available on a limited basis depending on projects, waste-load, etc.

May I speak to someone at the Wastewater Treatment Facility directly?

Please call the business office first. Knowledgeable staff will redirect your concern as appropriate.

My water bill is high, but I am not using any more water than normal. What do I do?

If you think your water use is higher than normal you may have a small, undetected leak.  Please come to the business office to get a packet of dye strips to test your toilet tank for leaks.  Toilet leakage is very common, and can be a silent leak – sometimes you will not hear water running or dripping.  Drop the dye strip or food coloring in your tank and if you see the dye color in the bowl – you have a leak.  Contact your plumber for assistance.

My water bill is very high - could it be my meter?

Meters only register water than actually flows through the meter.  If the meter is failing due to age – it will slow down - meaning that it will not be registering all the gallons that have flowed through it.  Your water bills generally will be lower and lower if you have a failing meter.  If you see this trend - please contact someone in the Business Office immediately to have your meter checked.  District personnel will need to enter your home to read your inside meter and compare the value with your outside meter.

What are your office hours?

The office is open Tuesday & Thursday 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM.  If you need assistance after business hours due to an emergency contact the Plymouth Police Department at 536-1828 who will get you in touch with District on-call personnel.

What can be done about the smell?

PVWSD has worked very hard to control the odors occasionally emanating from the Treatment Facility.  We have in-ground biological filters that aid in filtering the air prior to leaving the plant.  We also have stopped the composting operation, which was one of the main sources of odor.  What is happening down at the Treatment Plant?  I hear lots of construction noise.

2010 and 2011 will bring about an almost $6 million upgrade to our Treatment Plant.  PVWSD was very  fortunate to receive a 75% grant for  improvements to the Treatment Facility.  There will be a lot of construction and many changes happening over the next 15-18 months.  These changes will bring the facility up to new design specifications recommended by NH Dept. of Environmental Services.

What do I do if I cannot pay my balance in full?

The full balance is due on or before the due date stated on your bill.  If there is a reason that you cannot pay your full balance, contact the office staff who can will arrange payment plan with you.  Balances due will still be subject to the $10 penalty or 12% annual late fee, whichever is greater.

What do I do if I cannot pay my bill on time?

Please contact our Business Office immediately if there is a reason that you will not be able to pay your bill on time. The Office Staff can help you with a payment plan.

What do I do if I have a leaky, dripping faucet?

Even a small drip can cause your water bill to be very high.  Come by the office to get a special ruler that can show you how much water is being wasted from that small leak.  Contact your plumber right away to have the faucet repaired, or repair it yourself if it is a simple fix.

What do I do if my bill quarterly amount seems higher than usual?

Please call or visit the Business Office at 536-1733 between 8:00-4:00.  Staff members will be happy to assist you.

What is the average water use per person?

The average water use per person in the US is 100 gallons per day.  A family of 4 can use over 12,000 gallons of water in one month!  Water saving methods can reduce your water use and reduce your costs.

What is the odor I smell sometimes when I am downtown?

The odor you smell may be emanating from the Wastewater Treatment Facility at the south end of Green Street.  This facility processes the waste water from the Water & Sewer District in Plymouth.  When the weather is in a low pressure condition, the odors do not dissipate as quickly and an ammonia- like smell can be noticed throughout the southern area of downtown.  As soon as the weather changes, the odor usually disappears.

What should I do when I get notification that the District is 'flushing' the water lines.

PVWSD periodically flushes the water lines that deliver water to your home and business.  This cleans out the debris and buildup that occurs in the lines over time.

  • When you receive notification, please do not use any water during the period of flushing (this usually occurs in the wee hours of the morning).
  • After the lines have been flushed and prior to using water in your home - turn on an outside faucet and let the water run for a few minutes until the water is clear.
  • After running the outside faucet, turn on the cold water inside and let that run for a few minutes until the water is clear.  This will help prevent any debris from entering your hot water system.
  • It is also recommended that you do not wash laundry the day after flushing occurred.

When will I get my bill?

PVWSD bills on a quarterly basis.  Bills are mailed the last day of March, June, September and December.

When will my payments be due?

Payments are due 30 days from mailing.  The due date appears in the upper right corner of your statement.  There is a $10.00 penalty or 12% annual intrest rate late fee (whichever is greater) if not paid by the due date.

Where does my water come from?

PVWSD has two wells located on Foster Street.  Water pumped from these wells is stored in the large water tanks on Reservoir Road and pumped or gravity fed to water lines throughout the district.

Where is the office located?

The Plymouth Village Water and Sewer District Office is located at 227 Old North Main Street right near the bridge over the Baker River.

Our phone number is 536-1733.

Who should I speak with at the office when I have questions?

PVWSD is proud to have knowledgeable and personable staff.

Policy questions and project issues - Call the Business Office at (603) 536-1733.

Billing questions - Kim Haines - Office Manager (603) 536-1733.

General questions - Kim Haines - Office Manager (603) 536-1733.

Why do I get a separate bill from PVWSD?

Plymouth Village Water & Sewer District is not part of the Town government.  PVWSD is a separate municipality that serves water and sewer infrastructure.  We are regulated by the NH Dept. of Environmental Services and the US Environmental Protection Agency.  For the residents and businesses with in the bounds of the district If you have any questions - please call 536-1733.